<$BlogRSDUrl$>

6.09.2007

Nobody wants to hear bad beat stories 

No-limit hold'em at the Commerce, $3-5 blinds, 9 handed. I'm sitting in the 1 seat, just to the dealer's left. The entire right side of the table is populated with maniacs, who have been playing and raising complete trash preflop and betting/calling large with weak draws, second pair, etc. On my left is Über-nit, who has been playing only premium hands (even limping KK once) and bitching when they get cracked most of the time.

For this hand, I'm under the gun with $150 behind, and the maniacs are on the button and in the blinds. I get dealt pocket aces. As is customary, I have folded my first 25 non-blind hands because I've been getting dealt complete trash, and everyone has verbally indicated that they have noticed this. Obviously no one is going to give me action if I raise UTG, so I limp, hoping to trap the maniacs behind me in a huge pot. Über-nit limps, as do a middle position player and the maniacs on the button and in the small blind.

Five players to the flop, and no raise. This is a moderate disaster for AA, but at least I can get away from the hand relatively cheaply if I start getting some heat.

Flop comes Q54. I fire $20, Über-nit calls, everyone else folds. Über-nit has me covered, and I have one pair out of position against him. Reverse implied odds are a bitch. Not good times. Bad times.

Turn is a 8. I check, he bets $40. Okay, with only $125 behind, it's pretty much stack time -- either raise all-in if I think he might be pumping top pair, or fold. He knows I'm a very tight player, and I know he's a tight player as well. By betting into a field of 5 players on the flop, I have strongly suggested that I have a strong top pair or better, and he is unimpressed. I can't convince myself that he's pumping top pair or KK here -- I think it's more likely he has a set. I reluctantly fold.

Über-nit turns over pocket queens, top set.

I'm not sure whether bad beat stories or monster laydown stories are worse. Certainly from someone like Phil Hellmuth, they're both pretty unbearable.

Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?