<$BlogRSDUrl$>

6.22.2007

Message in a bottle 

I hope someone gets my message in a bottle. The message is, "remind me never again to attend a concert in Anaheim, unless it's a Disney Mouseketeers concert. And if I ever do see a Mouseketeers concert, remind me to shoot myself."

So The Police played in Anaheim last night. I was planning to see them perform in Dodger Stadium in LA on Saturday, but I changed my plans on account of wanting to see the Red Sox wipe the floor with the Padres in person. I acquired a ticket for Anaheim and jettisoned my ticket for LA. Apparently there's a reason why the show still hadn't sold out hours before it was to start, and the reason is that people in Anaheim are lame. The Honda Center was filled to about 92% capacity, lots of people were sitting for the majority of the show, they missed when Sting cued them to sing/clap, and so forth.

Fortunately, The Police can still play. Below is the setlist, which seems to be pretty standard for the tour (if you don't want to see any spoilers, you probably should just stop reading here):








Message in a Bottle
Synchronicity 2
Walking on the Moon
Voices Inside My Head
When the World is Running Down
Don't Stand So Close To Me (sounds like the album version, not the '86 live version)
Driven to Tears
The Bed's Too Big Without You
Truth Hits Everybody
Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic
Wrapped Around Your Finger
De Do Do Do De Da Da Da
Invisible Sun
Walking in Your Footsteps
Can't Stand Losing You
Roxanne

King of Pain
So Lonely

Every Breath You Take
Next to You

Random notes:

Sting hit the high D on Roxanne in the first verse, but not during the chorus.

Stewie Copeland had an entire B-stage set up with chimes and a huge gong for Wrapped Around Your Finger and King of Pain, giving both pieces somewhat of an Eastern flavor.

During Invisible Sun, the screens showed a few silent video clips of what presumably was Iraq -- children going to school and playing, a little girl holding an American soldier's hand, a couple soldiers slumped beside a vehicle, a bombed-out car and piles of rubble, people mourning. It was done quite graciously and humanely, I thought.

For some reason nobody sang the closing line "I'll be watching you" during the coda to Every Breath You Take. Sting sang the backing lines over and over (Every breath you take/every bond you break/etc.) in his full voice. I dunno if he was expecting the crowd to fill in or what.

Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?