<$BlogRSDUrl$>

1.19.2006

One-point compactification 

As long as I'm simultaneously taking about mathematics and politics, I'd like to advance the theory that the space of political views is not the real line (left-right), or R^2 (usually consisting of a social axis and an economic axis).

The space of political views might actually be n-dimensional. But it's not R^n, it's a sphere. The more I think about it, the more I'm convinced that all forms of political extremism (ill-defined term, I know) are equivalent. Fascism, Nazism, Communism, Christian fundamentalism, Islamic fundamentalism, whatever.

Comments:

all forms of political extremism (ill-defined term, I know) are equivalent.

You lost me on that one. Seriously, I'm confused.
 


Should've taken 18.901. Your loss.
 


I disagree. Clearly the anarchist extremists have a much different view of how to run things than the communist extremists. In some ways, the pacifist Quakers have an extreme viewpoint, but they are clearly much different than extremists who perform acts of terrorism.
 


Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?