<$BlogRSDUrl$>

9.24.2005

LA sports fans are posers 

Around these parts, I've seen more Yankees caps than Dodgers and Angels caps combined. Now the Dodgers are one of the storied franchises in the history of baseball, while the Angels won the World Series three years ago and have been pretty strong since.

I went to the mall to purchase another Red Sox shirt for this year's stretch run. The cashier was wearing a Yankees cap, but didn't have a single word for me, even after I showed him my Massachusetts license, and even after the Yankees recently took over first place in the AL East. Disappointing.

Also, back in 2003 I was attending a conference at UCLA in the spring. The Detroit Red Wings were playing the Anaheim Mighty Ducks in the first round of the Stanley Cup playoffs. (By the way, have I mentioned how much I detest Disney?)

Since there was no TV in my hotel room, I caught the first three games at a bar called Maloney's, eating bar food and drinking Guinness with another guy there who happened to be a Wings fan. As far as I could tell, we were the only hockey fans in attendance. Reverting back to pre-1997 form, the Wings lost each of the first three games by one goal each.

I returned for Game 4, and suddenly the bar was packed with Ducks "fans". Disgusting.

Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?