<$BlogRSDUrl$>

1.19.2005

More on women in math(s) and science 

I just finished grading final exams for the multivariable calculus class I TA at Harvard. 18/59 students were women. Their average was identical to the men's average (to within one point in 100). Their grades were spread out, not clumped in the middle. I never noticed much difference between average men and women or between exceptional men and women in any of the other classes I taught either. I doubt that male brains and female brains are wired in a manner that makes raw calculation, abstract thought or problem-solving trickery easier for one sex.

Maybe there's a mathematical genius gene that pops up more frequently in Y chromosomes than in X chromosomes -- is this at all plausible, or is this complete hogwash? I'd bet on the latter.

Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?