<$BlogRSDUrl$>

5.13.2004

All I Want Is You 

Sometimes I hear friends and other acquaintences talking about marriage and wanting to get married. Some of these folks aren't even dating right now. I wonder if sometimes people forget that marriage isn't just a state of being - it's a relationship with an actual person.

The following passage from Into the Heart: The Stories Behind Every U2 Song seems to capture many of my thoughts on the subject. It's from the commentary on the song "All I Want Is You".


"All I Want Is You" is a love song and Bono doesn't usually talk about these things - but on this occasion he does. "That's clearly about a younger version of myself and my relationship with Ali," he reflects. "It takes a huge generosity of spirit to be around somebody who's in the position I'm in, and who can expose you. If you're a very private person, as she is, that's something you have to be very careful about. That's why I often write about other people's experiences as well as my own, and in all of my love songs you'll find that there's a few stories.

"That's a song about commitment, really. I don't think being married to someone is so easy, really. But I'm interested in the idea of marriage. I think it's madness but it's a grand madness. If people think it's normal, they're out of their minds. I think that's why a lot of people fall apart, because they're not prepared for what it is. Once they've made that commitment, they think that's the end of it, now they can rest easy."

"I'm very restless. I am not the kind of guy who would normally settle down with a family and one person. I'm just not. I'm a tinker. I like to travel. I like to move around. The only reason I'm here is because I met someone so extraordinary that I just couldn't let that go. So a lot of the sense you get from the work is that some of the characters want to run, to get to the airport and just fly away. And other characters could never be away from this."

He looks around at his living room. "I think that's a great dynamic for songs."

Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?