<$BlogRSDUrl$>

11.03.2003

Confirmation of the Anglican Church's first openly gay bishop 

Apparently parts of the young Anglican church in Africa are really upset about it.

I've heard that the new, freshly established branch of the church in Africa tends to be really upset with the Anglican church in England, often accusing it of apostasy. I think I remember something about some Anglican preacher declaring that he didn't believe in God or somesuch, but I can't find a link right now.

What I want to know is this: how on earth could the church appoint a bishop who left his wife and kids for his new lover? Here's what the apostle Paul had to say about the qualifications of church leaders in 1 Timothy 3:1-5:



It is a trustworthy statement: if any man aspires to the office of overseer, it is a fine work he desires to do. An overseer, then, must be above reproach, the husband of one wife, temperate, prudent, respectable, hospitable, able to teach, not addicted to wine or pugnacious, but gentle, peaceable, free from the love of money. He must be one who manages his own household well, keeping his children under control with all dignity (but if a man does not know how to manage his own household, how will he take care of the church of God?).



Just for the sake of argument, we'll leave aside the bit about leaders being required to be heterosexual. (I myself am not completely sure of the morality of same-sex relations vis-a-vis Christianity; I do think that gay Christians have some compelling arguments, but I'll leave that for another post.) That aside, it's pretty hard to argue that a man who abandons his own household should be qualified to lead a church.

Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?